Aluminum Wiring Solutions
Aluminum was the type of wiring used in the 1960s and 1970s as a cheap substitute for copper wiring. Aluminum wiring is not safe. There are three hazards caused by aluminum wiring:
- Oxidization. When oxidize (rust) forms on aluminum, it increases the wire’s resistance and impedes the flow of electricity. Although copper wiring also rusts, the green copper oxide that forms is electrically conductive. However, when the white oxide on aluminum wiring forms, it interferes with the flow of electricity, and causes overheating.
- Softness. Aluminum is a much softer metal than copper. It is easily nicked or cut. The damaged wire creates local hot spots.
- High thermal expansion. Aluminum has a tendency to change shape at the terminal screws and thus become loose or creep off.
Some of the danger signs of aluminum wiring that may have connection problems:
- sparks coming from receptacles or switches
- unusually warm or warped outlets and switch cover plates
- strange odors in the area of receptacles and switches
- light bulbs that burn out quickly
- lights that flicker
- circuit breakers that trip for no reason
Aluminum wiring is not safe for a do-it-yourselfer. Hire only a licensed electrician work on circuits with aluminum wiring. The safest solution to the problems and hazards associated with aluminum wiring: replace it with copper wiring– and allow experienced, licensed electricians to do the job.
Call us at 604-946-8946, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or use our contact form and let AJ’s Electrical help with your wiring solutions.
The Right Choice For All Your Residential
& Commercial Electrical Needs.
AJ’s Electrical Service & Repair is a division of AJ's Electrical Contractors Ltd. and has been providing electrician & electricity services to Greater Vancouver and the surrounding areas since 2003 including Delta, Richmond, Vancouver, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock, Burnaby, Surrey, Langley. AJs Electrical Service & Repair products and residential & commercial services include, Powersmart Lights & Lighting, Electrical Safety Inspections, Powersmart Features, Fire Alarm Installations, Low Voltage Lighting Control, Fixture Installations, C02 Alarm Installations, BC Electrical Code Corrections, Home Electrical Inspections, Indoor Lighting, Outdoor Lighting, Ceiling Fans, Hot Tubs, Pool, Wiring and much more. AJ’s Electrical Service & Repair electric services deliver saving on energy costs while adding value and safety to your home and business.